Sunday, September 9, 2007

Religion in the South


That's right, it's once again football season. Not really having any interest in the game, I only know this because of the flags flying from cars, the store windows painted with the names and colors of the local high school teams, the crush of cars parked around the high school stadium on Friday nights, and all the teenagers driving with their school teams proudly painted onto their car windows. You may have noticed a theme here. Football season in the south isn't about the pro teams, though they do have their place. It's about the high school and college teams. I can do this. And to prove it, I've adopted Doc's team, the Troy University Trojans.

I can see the confusion on your face and hear you asking, "Who?"

Here's a link. They're not a big name player in college football, yet, and they haven't been division one very long. But they play a good game, even if they can't beat the teams from the top ten. Yet. So I've adopted them, after being a fan by association for awhile. And the colors look good on me, I think. Doc drove me over to her alma matta yesterday, and we dropped a goodly amount of money in the bookstore getting both of us geared up for the homecoming game next month. I've got my hat, t-shirt, pull-over windbreaker, and seat cushion all ready to go. And then I realized, between this and the cheesy grits, I've been assimilated. And it's not so bad...

What? You thought I was going to talk about the Baptists or something? ^_~

No comments: